Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Bad customers, deceitful people.

Hi! It's already March and I have been real busy, and seeing as how I am basically a one man show- I haven't blogged in over a fortnight. Now that I am back I am going to do something totally different, I'm going to share my true thoughts with the world come hell or high water! During the last year of this tough economy I have been basically used by unscrupulous people to give them itemized bids for their jobs, when they basically had no intention of hiring me ( In many cases.) - they just wanted some free financial analysis. This is similar to getting the architect to create elevations for free- before he or she is hired. Read my lips, this is not going to ever happen again! It's one thing to give a free estimate, and quite another to spends hours and hours for free. To all you people who think your clever by manipulating eager contractors to give you their time and hard work for free- why don't you have a drink of Jones- Town coolaid.... on me. like I said, the gloves are coming off now.... embrace the truth people!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You make a good point Rich but at the same time, if I didn't get a breakdown from you when I asked for it, I may not have hired you. I was already leaning towards you before I asked, but I wanted to first see if you had the insight of what would be required by giving me a breakdown.

There's always two ways to look at it. Maybe you can come up with a general percentage breakdown by area such as foundation: 10%, Framing: 10%, Windows: 5-10%, etc.? I started to do this for my house but stopped about half way through.

riviera rich said...

I fully agree that a line item breakdown is important, it's just that a contractor should provide that after he's hired. Rich