Thursday, February 5, 2009

Installation of cabinet- floating countertops.



Man I haven't blogged since January I guess I got too busy for my own blog. We'll since the last time we have made some good progress on the cabinet. In one day we have installed the cabinet, floated the counter tops and back splash, and installed .42 Hardibacker 500 series on the floor and we are ready to install tile tomorrow. For those of you who do not know what floating is - it's an old time tested process that is undeniably the best way to provide a solid base to lay your tile on. You simply apply building paper(I prefer tyvek) to the surface then staple or nail diamond lath over that, and then apply your mortar(sand, cement, H2o) in a technique called floating. When you float all surfaces you get everything straight, level and flat - perfect for tiling! How do you float you might ask? We'll unfortunately I couldn't possibly explain the process in less then a thousand words, suffice it to say it's complicated. Only real tile installers and crafty master carpenters can do it- in fact if your tile contractor doesn't float he or she probably isn't very good. I hope to blog again tomorrow about how I did on the tile install. Zenbuilder- out!